Mixing pesticides safely
This video will show you how to mix and load liquid pesticide into your knapsack sprayer in the field. Click the play button to view the video now or click on the script tab to view the storyboard. To view the video off-line, click the link from the 'download' tab.
- container of pesticide and label; your
- knapsack sprayer that has been checked, calibrated and is ready for use;
- clean water;
- a mixing tray;
- a pesticide box; your
- planning notes;
- measuring cylinders or jugs;
- a spill kit of a dust pan and brush, sand or soil and a plastic bag or appropriate container that can be labelled and securely sealed: and
- the amount of product to be applied; and
- the water volume rate to use.
In this demonstration we will be spraying at the label rate of
- 4 L of pesticide in
- 200 L of water; to be sprayed over
- 1 ha (10,000 square metres) of land. Although we will be spraying a much smaller area of 1200 square metres.
Ideally it should be away from animals, children and surface water such as streams and ponds and not near any drinking water sources or habitation and other sensitive areas. The ground must be flat and your mixing tray stable.